BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Arguments: Hip-Hop and the Corporate Function of Colonization

Jared Ball’s argument in his article “Hip-Hop and the Corporate Function of Colonization” is that there are definite efforts by the people and businesses in power to stay that way. He says that there is a definite control by these large organizations and corporations over the population’s cultural expression. The people that are in power set up structures and boundaries to maintain the status quo. Not only do the margins maintain the norm, they also protect the ruling elite. These boundaries are rigid and strict to prevent people from overstepping them.
Another one of Ball’s main points is how anonymous these elite structures. Faceless CEOs and share holders make rules and decisions. Ball even goes on to call spokespeople and CEOs “modern day colonial administrators”. By having things remain the way they are and manipulating what is considered acceptable, the ruling class gain safety and security. There is no reason for them to worry about any deviations from their set up system. In order to maintain this position, a popular consciousness or “manufactured opinion” (as Ball puts it) are needed to support them.
If people were free to create a new culture or behavior that became massively accepted and popular, that would mean the end of established power. Another way this is controlled is by allowing only carefully selected forms of culture to be promoted. This way, it appears as though a new culture is emerging but those in power still have a hold on its mass appeal and influence. Anyone who goes against this established power are suppressed, demonized, or harassed. Hip-hop culture is constantly under scrutiny for its explicit music, “violent” lifestyle, and aggressive themes.
Mass media has a huge part in this because many of the ruling elite control forms of popular media. In his article, Ball explains that the function of mass media is to influence audience behavior by controlling this idea of popular consciousness. He goes on to list modern examples of how this is being done. His examples include the lobbying of Congress by Time Warner to increase postal rates for magazines, EMI’s efforts to sell itself to either Warner Music Group or a private equity firm, the Copyright Royalty Board charging both commercial and noncommercial broadcasters a royalty fee per song, and Interscope Records’ lyrics committee that refused to include the track “Fuck Tha Police” on Young Buck’s new album. These examples show how those in power are staying in power. In the cases of the postal rate increases and the per song royalty fees, smaller businesses are being forced to close because they simply do not have the funds. This is allowing the large corporations to overpower the smaller ones and stay ruling.
By not allowing for any different opinions, those in power are attempting to create mindless societies who all have the same likes and dislikes. Anything different from the status quo is ostracized or punished. Dominant ideologies are not only kept in place but are also not challenged in any way for fear of the repercussions. Smaller businesses cannot survive because they are crushed by large corporations. We are told to listen to nameless, faceless people because it is what everyone else is doing.
Talking Point:
I am not sure that I really grasped the concept of this article. While I tried, I feel as though there are still some points that I simply just missed or did not understand. I hope that in class we can talk more about the article so that I can find out what my classmates thought.

3 comments:

Diana Lee said...

Amanda,
Yes this was a difficult text to comperehend all of it. Ithink you did a nice job."Hip-hop culture is constantly under scrutiny for its explicit music, “violent” lifestyle, and aggressive themes." I greee with this point hovere, there are a lot of aggressive themes in this genre, but hten again, people can listen or not listen.

Clit Crusader said...

I disagree with Diana's last point. I like that you brought up the point "There is no reason for them to worry about any deviations from their set up system. In order to maintain this position, a popular consciousness or “manufactured opinion” (as Ball puts it) are needed to support them" in your response. When I see "manufactured opinion," I am reminded that people do not actually have the power to "listen or not listen" as Diana put it in any sort of real capacity. Ball is getting at this idea that perhaps we have trouble admitting because we would *like* to think we have the agency Diana refers to, but this is not true. I understand Diana's point because it is what we are told everyday. We are told we have options, we are told we have all this freedom...but in reality, there are people asserting power over what we like and don't like simply by the fact that certain artists are put on the radio while there are others we will never know exist. So, I guess my real realization is that when we say we have these chocies, we are really protecting a system that is making us suboordinates. We are being dominated by something larger. Saying we have options ignores that system of domination and limits us in the long run.

Alexis Renae said...

I used your post as the focus of my extended comments for this week. I really liked your explanation of Ball's arguments, and agree with much of what you said.